The 5 Hindrances to self-mastery. Shi Heng Yi…A Ted Talk
I’ve been without a remote for a few days. Thus, I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube. Mainly talks and exercises by Shi Heng Yi. The videos just keep playing one after another, after.. It’s a new path for me. But like all spiritual paths, it can and will help you if you apply it. As I’ve said before, All spiritual efforts lead to one place-GOD. I believe, take the tools that resonate best with you and mix and match them for your own spiritual success or as they say in 2021-Your own Self Mastery. Everyone is different. Take what works for you and Use it. The main thing to do is to do whatever it is. Don’t just read about it.
Much of the info I wrote out is from Shi Heng Yi and some is the authors own thoughts. Just want to let you know that ahead of time. Because Yi does mention, he isn’t going to show you the way, just give suggestions. Thus I added on some decent definition to help you out. If you want just Yi’s information the video is down below
When you see more clear. Human interactions become easier. Goals and Inspirations become easier to attain
Find a Way to get to do the things you like to do
Clarity: You see more clear, You feel more clear, you can decide for yourself what to do to reach your goals and aspirations
There are two mistakes along the way to Self-Mastery: Not starting it and not going all the way
The Shaolin Temple Europe labels 5 states of mind that you don’t want to be in, which are the 5 hindrances. Being in any of these 5 states makes it difficult to find your way
The 5 Hindrances
- SENSUAL DESIRE: A Positive emotion that can appear through the 5 senses. Seeing, Hearing, Smelling, Tasting, & Feeling. These can be good for a while. But once you follow the temptation too many times and want to stay too long in this area, it becomes an Obsession, which is bad. It’s hard to find clarity by staying to0 long in Sensual Desire. Stay for a bit then get out. Like 2 drinks in a night might be ok, but becoming a hardcore alcoholic is not what you want to do
- ILL WILL: State of the mind that provides negative emotions. A dislike about an object, a situation or a person. If you dislike something, You must learn to let go of Ill Will. One of the reasons I’ve watched this video 5x today, is during my day today, I got stuck getting irritated with a situation at work. I did the Shaolin Qi Gong for an hour. Meditated 3 times and took a walk. These all aided me to get rid of my ILL Will. But after writing this I will do one more thing, Yoga Nidra. Some days, it’s just harder to get peaceful. Today was one of those days for me. But I took action and am almost at peace. I know I should just say, Peace is within me now and be done with it. That’s supposed to work from all that I teach and think. Just sometimes, you or I need to do more to chase the Ill Will away
- DULLNESS/HEAVINESS: Sleepiness, lack of energy, non motivation, can manifest into depression. You feel imprisoned. And it it hard to make a mental or physical decision. You need to Find a way to get out of this state of mind
- RESTLESSNESS: An unsettled mind that worries about the future or travels to the past. This is the monkey mind. Jumping around from past to future without staying long enough in the present moment. Try not to judge things and get out of this state of mind
- SKEPTICAL DOUBT: Indecisiveness. Lost in thoughts. Can I do this? What will people think? Is this the right path? You may have many doubts and get stuck instead of moving on. Too much doubt will get you stuck. Get Out and feel decisive, positive and free
What to do about the 5 Hindrances. Prevent them from arising. Use techniques to rid yourself of them. In other videos Shi Heng Yi teaches various movements of the body while breathing. Meditation is also good, so is doing a hobby like sewing, painting and sports. These keep your mind calm and in the present moment. One does not need to do real mediation (but it does help). You can do your hobby and it will work very well also. Or of course you can mix the 2 options. I personally do the Calm app SOS, Yoga Nidra, Kirtan, write, read, walk, play basketball and sometimes paint and surf.
4 Things to do about the 5 Hindrances
- Recognize: What state of mind you are in
- Accept: Learn to accept how a situation is, why people are like this. Allow things to be how they are, let people be as they are. You can not change them. but you can change how you perceive them. Stay calm when faced with verbal bullying. Learn martial arts for physical attacks.
- Investigate: Your emotional and mental state and question it. Ask questions? Why? What will be the consequence when I stay like this
- Non Identify: It is the practice. I am not the Body, I am not the Mind, I am not my Emotions. I can see these 3 aspects about me, but they are not me. I am a spiritual being living in a human body
Be Unique. Try not to copy others. Bring meaning to your life. Learn and master yourself and don’t let the hindrances stop you. Learn to live a healthy life. Healthy Body and Healthy Mind
Three Main Things to Do:
- Physical Movement Qi Gong, Kung Fu, Martial Arts
- Intention of the Mind/Mind action/control
- Learn How to use your Breathe
I know it’s a lot of words today, take what works for you and leave the rest on the page. Or watch the video and formulate your own plan. Today, I needed to do what I like to do to get our of a hindrance. And that is to write and to hopefully help someone else on their journey.
For more on Shi Heng Li, check out his website here
Here is the Mind, Body and Soul exercise session that I did today to help me get out of Ill Will. It helped but did upset my back a bit, so be careful when doing any of the various trainings. Glad I didn’t try the Kung Fu today.